Tommy Shafer is a 16 year old singer/songwriter from a small town with a population of about 10,000 people called Waldwick in New Jersey. Ever since Tommy was inspired by Justin Bieber to sing at the young age of 12, he developed a pure passion for his music and his art. Tommy released an independent album to every online music store in the world on February 3rd of 2015 called Breakthrough. The album was all written and performed by Tommy Shafer. He also, funded the whole project by working at a local pizzeria about 4 nights a week just to save up to record and distribute his album to the internet world.
Tommy has performed from restaurants and small venues (locally) to performing on the big stage of The Paramount Theatre in Asbury Park, New Jersey with a seating of about 1,600 people. Tommy continues to write, create, and perform music everyday while trying to achieve his goal of getting his music heard and making a career out of his passion. Come follow him on his journey!
What inspires you to do music?
1. Great question. Music is my pure passion and I couldn’t imagine doing anything otherwise or pursuing anything else in life. What inspires me to do music is performing out a lot and spending time in the studio creating new music. I also love promoting myself and my music, and connecting with my fanbase on social media.
How do you feel music has changed since the 80s?
2. Music has changed a lot since the 80’s. In the 80’s Pop Music and Hip Hop/Rap was really developing and growing rapidly. Now at days those two genres are the most popular genres of music in the world. There was so much talent back in the 80’s and there still is a lot of unique talent today as well.
What would you say is the most important thing for an artist to be successful?
3. In my opinion, ticket sales are a big part of an artist’s success. Ticket sales create more revenue for artists and labels than albums usually do. If your fans take time out of there weekend to come see you perform it means that they like your music and you as an artist, but if someone just buys your song and watches your music video it just means that they like your song or just want to check you out. So ticket sales are a big part of an artist’s success in my opinion.
What project are currently working on?
4. I am releasing a single onto all the online music stores sometime this March, as well as a music video. I’m really excited to release this single called “The World Is Mine” because it’s my first official pop song with an actual beat behind my voice. My first album was all acoustic with pop flares mixed in.
What can we expect from you in the coming years?
5. Hopefully I get signed to a record deal if I am lucky enough, and I get to tour all around the world and have a major global hit. My biggest goal is to earn a music career and not have a boring day job. LOL.
Anybody you would like to collaborate with?
6. I would love to collaborate with Justin Bieber or Alessia Cara because they are super talented and seem amazing to work with, plus my music and style is similar to theirs as well!
What has been your biggest challenge as an artist?
7. My biggest challenge so far as an artist is trying to fund for my career since my parents don’t have a lot of money, while balancing high school, a night job to support my career, my job at my local music school, and my daily life. But hopefully all my hard work can pay off one day.
It’s been a pleasure talking with you. Thank you so much 🙂